The Village of Montecarlo

The lodging Antica Casa Naldi, a charming Tuscan home, is situated in the center of the medieval village Montecarlo, one of the most beautiful hamlets of Lucca area.

The village

Montecarlo is located at 162 m above sea level, on a hilltop between Lucca and the Valdinievole overlooking the surrounding plains. The hill of Montecarlo is cultivated with vines and olive trees, and it produces a high quality oil and excellent DOC wine, initially considered that only the white wine, but now also the red one.

Its territory is crossed by the Wine Route of the Hills of Lucca and Montecarlo, tourist wine route established in 1999 and recently named "Road of wine and oil of Lucca, Montecarlo and Versilia."

The village was called Montecarlo in honor of Prince Charles, son of King John of Bohemia, the liberator of Lucca Pisa occupation. The prince became Emperor under the name of Charles IV, was several times in Montecarlo dealing with the fortification of the fortress that proved to be a strategic garrison during the wars between Lucca, Pisa and Florence in the fourteenth century .

The historic center, built in 1333, is well preserved and still surrounded by the beautiful walls; from all the 14th century gates remain the Porta Fiorentina to the east, the Porticciola at ovest to direction of Lucca, while the Porta Nuova in the south was reopened at the end of the 16th century.

Attractions:
Church S. Andrea of the 14th century with precious works such as the statue of St. Anthony the Abbot (Francis Valdambrino) and the panel with the Madonna Enthroned with Child by Francesco Anquilla
Cerruglio fortress, the castle of Montecarlo (open only by appointment)
Theater dei Rassicurati of 1702
Pieve di S. Piero in Campo, medieval church with its roots in early Christianity

The great oak of S. Martino, “Pinocchio’s tree”
the many farms in the area to taste wine, olive oil and local products

Antica Casa Naldi
Antica Casa Naldi
Antica Casa Naldi
Antica Casa Naldi
Antica Casa Naldi